Sharing Our Space

Sharing Our Space

If you are looking for space in Harvard Square – meeting rooms, rehearsal or concert space, or even dormitory space – please let us know!  Photos of our space are below.

We have two large meeting rooms that can accommodate groups of up to 40 and 75, a church sanctuary with excellent acoustics for music that can accommodate up to 250, and a downstairs dormitory offering twenty-four bunk beds with access to bathrooms, showers, common space, and kitchen and eating areas. This dormitory space is available for youth groups, community service organizations, and church groups when not in use by the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter, the Harvard Square Summer Shelter, or other groups (typically mid-April to mid-June, September, and October).

To book or learn more, please e-mail Jayms Battaglia, campus and community coordinator or contact her by phone at (617) 876-3256 x201. Also see our Room Use Guidelines and Application for Building Use, both PDFs.

About Our Building

The 66 Winthrop Street home of University Lutheran Church was completed in 1951. It was the first church to be built in Cambridge after World War II.

The University Lutheran Church building and Arland A. Dirlam, architect, were recipients of the Harleston Parker Medal in 1952. This prestigious annual honor seeks to recognize “the single most beautiful building or other structure” built in the metropolitan Boston area in the past 10 years. One of the oldest architectural prizes in the country, the medal was established in 1921 and has celebrated projects by Le Corbusier, Frank Gehry, and I. M. Pei. This program is co-sponsored by the Boston Society of Architects and the City of Boston.

The downstairs dormitory space, Sunday School rooms, and offices were renovated in 1999 following a member-and-community-supported capital campaign in collaboration with the Harvard Square Homeless Shelter Corporation. Renovations of the Sanctuary and Alumni/ae Room followed in 2002 and 2003 thanks to a generous bequest by alumna Phyllis Louise Edwards.

The distinctive rainbow-colored Adirondack chairs on our front stoop became part of our ministry of hospitality in September 2014 through the efforts of UniLu member Cole Hediger and the generosity of the Reisz family. More about our Adirondack chairs.

Currently Sharing our Space

These organizations meet regularly in our building, 66 Winthrop Street:

We also host regular concerts and/or rehearsals by:

The directing boards of these partner organizations often meet at UniLu as well: